Lab Members

Current Lab Members!

Aniston Hong

I am currently an undergraduate student at the College of Charleston Honors College pursuing a major in Biology with a minor in Neuroscience. I hope to get my MD and become a Pediatric Neurosurgeon. Outside of the lab, I am involved in on campus clubs such as, Tri-Beta, Alpha Epsilon Delta, and Women in Stem. Additionally, I work at the College of Charleston as a biology tutor and at the Medical University of South Carolina as a patient care tech in the acute unit. I hope to apply my knowledge and experience from the lab throughout my career in the medical field. 

Marie Akirtava

Marie is an undergraduate at COFC pursuing Psychology and Neuroscience. She has an interest in delving into the complexities of the human brain, exploring how neurological disorders influence cognitive functions. Through working with Dr. Sims, she is hoping to further her scope of knowledge and gain valuable research experience. When outside the lab, Marie enjoys working out, swimming at the beach, and volunteering as a crisis counselor. 

Kyndal Adams

I’m Kyndal Adams, a junior enrolled in the Honors College of Charleston. As a proud military child, I’ve had the privilege of traveling across various corners of the globe. I am currently in my third year of college, where my academic concentration lies in the field of biology. My plan includes attending medical school after completing my undergrad degree. My fascination centers on learning about the intricacies of the human body and comprehending its functions. During my free time, you can often find me biking down to Charleston’s historic Battery, taking in the city’s scenic beauty.

Kennedy Camburn

I am currently a senior at the College of Charleston pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and minor in Neuroscience. Through Dr. Sim’s lab I hope to further my knowledge and gain more hands-on research in neuroscience, as I hope to continue my education to pursue a career within the neuroscience field. I enjoy learning about how the brain functions and how it affects our day-to-day lives both psychologically and physiologically.  Outside of the lab, I am the Treasurer of the Neurodiversity Initiative and enjoy spending time with friends and family or visiting various nature parks.

Rishita Pawar

I’m a second year student at the College of Charleston, majoring in Biology and minoring in Psychology. I am planning to either go to medical school to become a Pediatrician or get a Ph.D. in Psychology. I do internships in the summer and have learned a great deal of information that helps me in day-to-day life as well as preparing me for medical school or graduate school. No matter which route I take, I will use the skills and knowledge that I will obtain from Dr.Sim’s lab. In my free time, you will find me hanging out with friends, shopping, or walking around Charleston.

Caroline Strickland

I am Carline Strickland, a senior here at the College of Charleston. I am pursuing a major in Biology with a minor in Chemistry. After undergrad I hope to attend graduate school where I will get my master’s in biomedical sciences. After that, I plan to attend medical school to become a pediatric reconstructive plastic surgeon. For the past 2 years I’ve enjoyed gaining clinical experience working at Shawn Jenkins Children’s Hospital as a patient care technician in the acute unit. I hope to gain valuable experience in laboratory research and applicable knowledge that can be used throughout my journey in the medical field.

Kennedy Kimball

My name is Kennedy Kimball, and I am a senior undergraduate student at the College of Charleston! I am currently pursuing a major in biology and a minor in neuroscience. After undergrad, I plan to attend medical school and specialize in neuroradiology. Outside of school and the lab, I am a member of Alpha Chi Sigma and Women in Stem, as well as a volunteer on the surgical oncology ward at MUSC. I aspire to apply my knowledge in this lab to my future studies in the medical field and gain further research experience.

Jordan Ducharm

My name is Jordan Ducharm, I’m a sophomore undergraduate student at the College of Charleston, majoring in Biology with a biomedical concentration. After CofC I plan on attending Medical School to get my MD in hopes of becoming a plastic surgeon. I’m very excited to gain knowledge in the lab that will help me in my future career. Outside of school, I am an ACS Cares volunteer at the Hollings Cancer Center over at MUSC and in my free time, I love going to the beach and shopping around Charleston.

—————————————–

Lab Alum!

Madelynne Saddow

My name is Madelynne Saddow, I am a senior at the College. I have been working with Dr. Sims for 3 years now. My goal is to attend medical school and continue to make advancements within the neuroscience field. While working in this lab I have been able to present research at a number of research presentation events and have been award many grants to continue to pursue research. In my free time I play with my cat and tutor cognitively disabled students. I am also a pre-health student mentor at the College.

Maya Youssef

My name is Maya Youssef! I am currently a senior at the College of Charleston pursuing a major in Biology with a minor in Neuroscience. I hope to go to medical school and gain my MD & match into a Pediatric Emergency Medicine or Trauma/Neurosurgery residency. Here at CofC, I am the president of Tri-Beta,  a member of the Neuroscience Club, Women in Stem, and International Club. I am also obtaining clinical experience as an emergency medicine scribe at Shawn Jenkin’s Children Hospital. I hope to gain a better understanding of laboratory research in Neuroscience and apply the skills I learn in this lab to my future career in the medical field!

Lilly McGonegal

Asia Haskins