Summary

College of Charleston students Yuli Colson and Irelend Burke received the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) scholarship for the 2024-25 academic year.

Yuli Colson and Irelend Burke, PCAOB Scholars from the College of Charleston

Yuli Colson and Irelend Burke

Since 2011, The  PCAOB has gifted scholarships to students who plan to pursue a career in auditing. Students must meet a certain criterion and are nominated based on their high ethical standards, their demonstration of interest and aptitude in accounting and auditing, and achieve an overall GPA of 3.3 or higher. This year, for the first time ever, each PCAOB Scholar will receive a $15,000 award, up from $10,000 previously.

“The College of Charleston was very excited to be selected by the PCAOB this year to participate in the program,” says Robert Hogan, Ph.D., associate Professor of accounting, chair of the Department of Accounting & Business Law, and director of the Master of Science in Accounting program. “We are delighted that two of our students were selected to be scholarship recipients.” 

Yuli Colson, who is currently pursuing a Master of Science in Accountancy degree, expressed gratitude for the scholarship, which will help cover tuition and CPA exam preparation. Irelend Burke, also working towards her master’s degree in accountancy, appreciated the financial relief and support from the scholarship.

Both students shared what being a PCAOB scholar means to them.

“I am both honored and extremely grateful to be selected to receive the PCAOB Scholarship,” says Colson. “I am currently pursuing my MSA degree and taking the CPA exams and hope to pass the CPA exams before graduation with my MSA degree in 2025 as this program will help with the preparation for becoming a CPA. This scholarship will provide me with funds to cover MSA program tuition and an opportunity to continue my accounting career success. Additionally, this reward will enable me to focus on my graduate studies and CPA exams.” 

Burke reflects on the scholarship, “I am truly honored and grateful for being a PCAOB recipient. This scholarship has truly changed the ability of what goals I can achieve. This scholarship is giving me the ability to be able to work towards my master’s degree and help ease some of financial burdens. A big thank you to Karrie Saboe for pushing me to further my education and believing in what I can do.”