Justin Herp. Photo by Abby Albright.

With a passion for learning and a desire to experience all the campus had to offer, Justin Herp ’15 (M.S.A. ’16) embodied everything the College of Charleston looks for in a student. Now as an alumnus, Herp exemplifies a model graduate, one who is engaged and giving back to the College thanks to his positive experiences with faculty and the scholarships he received.

During Herp’s sophomore year, he took a class with Roger Daniels, professor of accounting, which hit a chord with him that reverberated back.

“Justin was the epitome of the high-quality accounting student that professors enjoy teaching,” says Daniels. “His intellectual curiosity and interest in learning to learn have served him well.”

The Michigan native’s inquisitive nature came through in all his classes. In his “America Let’s ReBoot” Honors College interdisciplinary course, John Culhane, Honors College scholar-in-residence, tasked Herp and his classmates with rewriting parts of the U.S. Constitution to better fit the 21st century.

“I had amazing, interactive discussions with my peers and Professor Culhane around how our Constitution, written more than 200 years ago, still holds up or could be better adapted for our modern society,” says Herp. “This type of liberal arts educational experience and the Honors College curriculum as a whole really complemented my accounting education.”

It wasn’t until he took Honors Business Law with his academic advisor, Roxane DeLaurell, professor of business law, that Herp chose to major in accounting.

“Professor DeLaurell cared so much about the success of her students, and she was the first to connect me with a summer leadership program with an accounting firm that eventually led to my first internship and full-time job post-graduation,” says Herp.

“I could tell Justin was interested in how money worked so I encouraged him to consider accounting as a major,” says DeLaurell. “He completed our undergraduate program, then went on to our Master of Science in Accountancy, where I got the chance to teach him again. During those years and at all the awards ceremonies, I continued to get to know him and his family better. Justin was always an excellent student: he showed superior comprehension and outstanding initiative. He rose to leadership in everything he joined, including the Investment Program and Beta Alpha Psi, the honors accounting society. There is nothing Justin can’t do and do well. Extraordinary does happen here, and Justin is extraordinary!”

After receiving his M.S.A., Herp started his career in Charleston with the firm where he had interned, Dixon Hughes Goodman LLP. He then moved to Dallas, Texas, later working for RSM US LLP before returning to Charleston to join Elliott Davis.

While Herp has been a member of the College’s Accountancy Advisory Board since 2018, he has become more involved with the College since his return to the Lowcountry. He was recently elected to the Alumni Association’s Board of Directors and invited to serve on the Honors College Advisory Board.

“I am simply giving back in my gratitude for a college experience and education that led me to where I am today in my life and career,” says Herp. “I want to ensure that the College’s traditions and excellence remain strong for future generations of students to benefit from the types of experiences that I had.

“I want to help the College continue to be a driver of growth for the city of Charleston and the entire Lowcountry and state of South Carolina,” he adds. “The city and region have continually thrived and grown since I moved to Charleston to attend the College, and I think the College will continue to make this an even better place for us all to work and live.”

Robert Hogan, Department of Accounting and MSA program director; Paul Schwager, Charleston School of Business Dean; Justin Herp. Photo by Abby Albright.

In addition to serving on key CofC leadership boards, Herp is a loyal donor. He is part of the Live Oak Society, which recognizes that he has given annually for more than five years. As a donor of $1,000 or more in a year, he is a member of the 1770 Society. Through his planned gift, he became a member of the Cistern Society and was inducted into its Porter’s Circle, an organization recognizing young alumni who graduated no more than 15 years ago who have included the College in their estate plans. Inspired after attending a Cistern Society luncheon, Herp allocated funds in his will for the Justin B. Herp ’15 (M.S.A. ’16) Endowed Scholarship, which will be awarded to future Master of Science in Accountancy students.

“Having benefited from scholarships, I want to complete the circle and pay it forward,” says Herp. “The small class sizes, professor involvement and the College’s connections in the city set me up for success in my career, and I want to give that opportunity to future students.”

As both Daniels and DeLaurell say, the College is truly lucky to have Herp as an alumnus and an engaged supporter.

To further the impact of this scholarship, please consider making a gift by donating online and noting in the description field that your gift is restricted to the Justin B. Herp ’15 (M.S.A. ’16) Endowed Scholarship.