“We’ll Be a Fine Line”

Julia Deicicchi- Option 1

“We’ll be a fine line. We’ll be alright”, lyrics I will never forget, and lyrics that hold true meaning in life. There is a fine line between happiness and sadness, a fine line between regret and acceptance. But in the end, we’ll be alright. 

I have seen Harry Styles perform live in concert five times, and despite his whimsical, colorful and electric performance style, I am most moved when he plays his song “Fine Line”. This song is a personal favorite of mine due to the heartfelt and intricate lyrics. Many fans of this song make their own interpretations and connections, and we can only assume what Styles is truly talking about in his personal life. When I listen to this song, my emotions are more sad and it makes me think about past relationships and hard times. Music is definitely an outlet that I use and I often rely on it no matter what mood I’m in. To add on, “Fine Line” is a reflective song and it is also so beautiful in nature that I choose to listen to it when I’m in any mood. All 6 minutes and 18 seconds of the song is full of  beautiful guitar chords and drums that transcend listeners into a different place. For those several minutes I become immersed in this beautiful song, taking time to reflect and let myself think for a moment. 

WIth most of Styles performances he is dancing around a large T- Shaped stage, skipping and jumping to the beat of a fun song. He has signature dance moves that fans adore, screaming the lyrics back at him. But for “Fine Line”, no one is screaming. Instead, we are staring in awe at him, careful not to sing too loud so that we can hear his mesmerizing vocals. The first time I ever saw Styles perform was at Mohegan Sun arena and it was the most magical environment. As an avid “Fine Line” fan I was ecstatic for him to sing it. Not only did he sing it, but he set up his microphone and guitar right on my side of the stage, so I had a perfect view of his performance. Without sounding dramatic, I was genuinely in disbelief of him being there singing this song so angelic. I even noticed the little note changes he did and was frozen in my place, with a tear falling down my face. When the song ended and I looked over at my friend, both of our eyes were glossy. 

I wish I could experience listening to “Fine Line” for the first time again, but I am forever grateful for that experience. Watching and listening to Styles take those 6 minutes and 18 seconds to turn the energetic high paced concert into a softer more somber magical heartfelt moment is truly an amazing moment in my life. 

Harry Styles' One Night Only Show at the Forum: What It Was Like

This entry was posted in Performance. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to “We’ll Be a Fine Line”

1. monahanek says:

As an avid Harry fan, I think there is something special about this song. It covers every emotion someone can have, and you can truly listen to it in a time of pure joy or sadness. I was able to go see Harry in Austin back in September of 2022, and it was one of the best concerts I have been to. His energy while performing is so electrifying. During this run of the tour, I did not get to hear Fine Line live, but it was made up by getting noticed during Satellite. This song has such a special place in a lot of Harry fans’ hearts, and you captured that very well.

2. andrewsme3 says:

I heavily relate to this post! I was so lucky to be able to see him play Fine Line live at my 2021 concert. It was another moving performance that I almost wrote about for this blog post actually. There is something so personal about the way that he sings it live (especially with the note change on “and I don’t want to sleep in the dirt”!).