The Essence of Love in Des’ree’s Song “I’m Kissing You”

Featured in Baz Luhrmann’s version of Romeo and Juliet (1996), all four minutes and fifty-three seconds of “I’m Kissing You” by Des’ree encapsulates the feeling of love in its purest form. The first strike of the chord immediately brings the sense of being wrapped in a blanket of pure emotion. Each note that follows makes the listener swoon. Not only does the performance’s technical skill move me, but the unmistakable sense of passion and longing fills every breath and word.

As the ballad unfolds, I am transported to a place where love is governing. Every utterance is saturated with sweetness and lasting devotion, weaving together tender moments and vulnerability with sincerity. Des’ree’s vocal delivery is nothing short of mesmerizing. Her voice quivers with emotion as she lays out the bare intricacies of love and longing. It’s as if she’s inviting the listener into her private world and sharing with them the rawness of heartache and the beauty of desire. 

There’s a particular moment in the song where there’s a crescendo of emotion that builds with each passing phrase that never fails to send shivers down my spine. It’s as if in those precious seconds, time stands still. I’m suspended in a moment of pure emotion, I feel its intensity. I find myself captivated, hanging on to every word as if my existence depended on it. And the lyrics themselves are poetic and moving, painting a vivid picture of love in all of its glory and pain. The repetition of, “I’m kissing you” resonates with a touching simplicity, conveying a depth of emotion that the words alone can’t capture. The instrumentation, the lyrics, the vocals; each element creating a symphony that resonates deep within the soul.

As the song nears the end, there’s a sense of bittersweet resolution, a feeling of relief and freedom that washes over me like a wave. In those final moments, all of the pent-up emotions and longing that were built up throughout the song are finally released. It leaves me with a profound sense of peace and fulfillment. Afterwards, I find my countless emotions to be tussling, each one more powerful than the last. There’s a sense of longing and a yearning for love that transcends the limits of time and space. There’s also a profound sense of gratitude, for having been given the opportunity to experience something so deeply moving. 

Although in the grand scheme of things, “I’m Kissing You” may be just another song in a vast sea of musical expression, to me it’s so much more than that. It’s a reminder of the power of music to touch the depths of our uniquely intricate souls, a reminder to evoke emotions we never knew existed and to connect us in ways that words alone cannot. So, as I listen to “I’m Kissing You” once more, I do so with a heart full of gratitude and flooding emotion. In those fleeting moments of musical bliss, I find comfort, peace, and above all, a profound sense of love. 

This entry was posted in Performance. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to The Essence of Love in Des’ree’s Song “I’m Kissing You”

1. revelsig says:

This is such a great song and I love your connection to it– it’s absolutely an amazing encapsulation of technical and musical strength as well as thematic relevance. I love the introspection of the vocal choices and your connection to that style!