“Ivan the Terrible and His Son Ivan” – Ilya Repin

In shadows deep, a monarch’s gaze does fall,

Upon his son, a scene of dread and woe.

In art’s embrace, their story does enthrall,

A tale of power, anguish, and sorrow’s flow.

Ivan, the Terrible, his name a shroud,

In crimson cloak, a tyrant’s guise displayed.

Beside him, his own flesh and blood, unbowed,

Yet in their eyes, a haunting tale conveyed.

Upon the canvas, whispers of the past,

A father’s fury, a son’s silent plea.

In strokes of pain, a legacy amassed,

A dynasty’s descent into history.

O artist, with your brush, you capture well,

The weight of deeds that time can’t erase.

In hues of anguish, sorrow starts to swell,

A tragedy immortalized with grace.

Let this tableau serve as a solemn vow,

To heed the lessons history imparts.

Lest we forget, beneath power’s proud brow,

Lies the fragility of human hearts.

Explanation: In crafting this poem in response to the painting of Ivan the Terrible and his son, I drew inspiration from some of the poems we have read in class. While I didn’t aim to emulate a specific poet or poem, I tried to echo the emotional depth and vivid imagery found in Romantic poetry, as well as the contemplative tone usually found in ekphrastic poetry.

My primary goal was to encapsulate the distressing narrative depicted in the painting and tried to evoke a visceral response from the reader. I aimed to balanced between describing the artwork and delving into its emotion, allowing the imagery to speak for itself while also combining it with my own interpretation of the subject.

By breaking the lines at certain points, I aimed to emphasize certain themes and moments within the painting, such as the contrast between power and vulnerability, the weight of history, and the human tragedy apparent in the scene. Some key word choices, like “shadows,” “anguish,” “tyrant,” and “legacy” were selected to produce specific emotions and contribute to the overall atmosphere of the poem.

Ultimately, I tried to focus on conveying the relationship between father and soon, as well as broader themes of power, mortality, and vulnerability and heartbreak. Through certain word choice and attention to language, structure, and imagery, I attempted to create a poem that not only pays homage to the artwork, but also invites reflection on the universally shared human experience of our own mortality and how it is the ultimate equalizer, no matter who you may be.

This entry was posted in New Ekphrastic Poems. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to “Ivan the Terrible and His Son Ivan” – Ilya Repin

1. revelsig says:

I really love this poem. This is one of my favorite paintings, and I really appreciated how you managed to tie so many themes into your poem. Referencing both the familial aspect and the political really reinforces the painting’s own context as a historical reference and brings humanity to a dramatic, tragic event. I thought your rhyme scheme especially was well done, being subtle but effective in tying your prose together– seriously really impactful and beautiful.