A Reflection of My Experience Studying Abroad in Florence, Italy by Emily Zakrzewski

I would advise any student, if they are granted the opportunity, to study abroad. I think that often, students might feel as if they “can’t do it.” For example, I have heard some say that as they approach their upperclassman or post undergraduate years, they feel it is more difficult to do so, so they then refrain. Though, as a graduate student, I am proud to say that I finished the semester strong, doing very well in my classes and, overall, obtaining very enjoyable experiences. I believe that good time management skills and adequate effort applied in school will insure a student of any age or degree a successful study abroad experience!

I have been prepared for my future career through my study abroad experience because I learned how to communicate and build rapport with children and families that do not share the same first language and cultural values as I do. I was able to accomplish this by being immersed in the community, facilitating numerous activities at the Giardino di Borgo Allegri, one of many public gardens local families attended to daily. Here, I learned how to communicate most effectively utilizing a variety of nonverbal communication techniques. These are important skills to know and practice because working in the hospital, it is often that I might have to communicate with children and families that do not speak English as their first language. Learning how to effectively use these skills to communicate with children and families in Italy will support my communication efforts with children and families working as a child life specialist in America.

If I had the opportunity to intern or work abroad in the future I would almost immediately. Throughout my study abroad experience, I learned much about culture and history, but most importantly, I learned a lot about myself. My experience studying abroad in Italy has further developed my perspective on numerous aspects: education, lifestyle, values, etc.. Living in Italy, I had come to realize what I had previously taken for granted in turn taught me rather what I should try to implement in my life. If I were to intern or work abroad in the future, I feel it would solely benefit me. This one experience was so positive and impactful that I wish I could do it again!