Exploring Italian Culture- Engaging with Children and Families at the Giardino di Borgo Allegri in Florence by Emily Zakrzewski

Over the course of the four-week period I spent studying abroad as a graduate student, I have had the most gracious opportunity to engage with children and families at the Giardino di Borgo Allegri. This location, which, in English, translates to the cheerful village garden, was located just a few-minute walk from our apartment in downtown Florence, Italy. Essentially, the Giardino di Borgo Allegri, one of many community-based Giardinos in Florence, was the equivalent to what we, as Americans, would consider a playground. Simply put, it was a grand, public space for children and families both local and visiting to enjoy. It included amenities such as slides, spring riders, swings, and a variety of transportation vehicles, i.e., scooters and bikes, free for all children. Additionally, there were also green spaces, benches, and picnic tables suitable for those older, i.e., parents and adolescents, to congregate. The Giardino di Borgo Allegri exists as a welcoming space, one that children, families, and our cohort altogether made ample use of!

At the Giardino di Borgo Allegri, our role as child life students was to engage with children and their families through play. The challenge, as you might assume, was to effectively communicate with children and their families despite potential differences, one of the most prominent being the language barrier. Henceforth, it was essential for us, as students and future professionals, to develop and implement techniques in which we could communicate in the absence of a common, spoken language. In order to communicate in the most effective manner with Italian children and families I, amongst the others in my cohort, found myself relying heavily on the use of nonverbal communication techniques, specifically the use of physical communication. Myself and fellow classmates utilized a variety of facial expressions, bodily movements and gestures, and eye contact to communicate most effectively to the children and families. For example, in a self-facilitated craft activity, we would utilize age-appropriate modeling techniques to provide examples of how one might use the materials presented. In hopes, this would further develop the child’s understanding of the activity and assist them in producing the product they most desired.

Engaging with the children and families of the city of Florence was a rewarding and unique experience. I learned rather quickly how essential community is in Italian culture. The Giardino di Borgo Allegri served more of a purpose to the families of Florence than just a playground. In essence, it was also a space to gather, somewhere to throw birthday parties, develop friendships, and grow closer as a family. It was always so lively. Though the language barrier posed a challenge, I felt accepted nonetheless. I was proud to leave the Giardino di Borgo Allegri on our last day knowing that I had built rapport with numerous children and parents regardless of my cultural background.