Trip to Hiroshima by Salina Saini

Whenever we learn about World War II, Hiroshima is also mentioned due to what occurred there. I love learning about history and visiting historic places, so Hiroshima was on my list of Prefectures that I wanted to visit. When the opportunity arose, we made it happen. We went on the Shinkansen (bullet train) from Osaka which was bound for Hiroshima. After about an hour and a half, we arrived at our destination.

Visiting the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum and the Peace Gardens was an unreal experience. It felt surreal to walk in the same place that became a target in World War II. As I was walking around, I felt various different emotions. The effect that the images and structures have on those who visit is so powerful. There is a story about a girl named Sadako who wanted to fold a thousand origami cranes in order to be granted a wish. She was a victim of the bombing and was fighting for her life in the hospital. The garden was full of origami cranes in her honor. I was also able to make one and add it to the cranes left behind in her honor.

A bit further away is a different side of Hiroshima. You can visit shrines and temples as well! One of my favorite shrines that Ihave visited is the Itsukushima Shrine. We took the train to where the ferries were docked because the shrine was on an island. The ferry offered a stunning view of the mountains and the clear blue water. Once we got to the island, We went straight to the Torri gate which stands in the water. It was absolutely gorgeous! The view from inside the shrine was even more breathtaking. I was also able to make it just in time before they closed to get the handwritten stamp in my stamp book. I am truly grateful that I had the opportunity to visit Hiroshima.