Life in Belfast: Venturing into Northern Irish Nature! by Brady DeHaven

When people think about Ireland, one of the first things that come to mind is the natural beauty across the entire island. While Northern Ireland is politically in the United Kingdom, there are no borders that cross the green fields separating the two nations. Giant’s Causeway, one of the most beautiful places that I have had the privilege to visit and experience is located on the northern coast of Northern Ireland about a two-hour bus ride from Belfast. From the minute you get up to the top of the hill, you overlook pastures that lead down to the coast where the waves crash onto the jagged rocks. As you make your way down to the Causeway itself, you see the bright green hills that steep down into the sea all around.

I’m lucky to have family in Northern Ireland show me around, and my cousin showed me all the wild blackberries that grow on the path that leads down to the causeway. So, with blackberries in hand and in mouth, we came across the most unique rocks that I have ever seen. Hexagonal rocks stand next to each other as they stand tall and jut out into the sea–which is also fun to climb on and get some good pictures of the scenery.

I am so grateful that it did not rain while I was there because the British Isles are infamous for gray skies, rain, and the general lack of sunshine. But for me, there was a beautiful blue sky that helped me see how beautiful the country my family comes from. I’m also so happy that I got to spend time with my family at Giant’s Causeway and during my time in Northern Ireland so I can learn more about my heritage and get to know my family a bit better.