John Cabot University by Sierra Buck

Hi everyone! My name is Sierra and I’m a Communication and Arts Management double major at the college! I’m a junior who will be studying abroad in Rome with API. I chose this program because of the classes that they were able to offer me and the incredible excursions they have planned. Being an arts Management major, it’s difficult to find classes that will count for my requirements. However, through API I was able to find a class! 

During my time abroad, I have a plan to make a bucket list for all the things I want to accomplish. I definitely want to gain a new form of independence. I have traveled abroad in the past but not for nearly this amount of time. I’d love to learn some of the language to be able to communicate with some of the locals. Lastly, I plan on keeping up with my academic goals from Charleston while in Rome. 

As for research, I have done a lot. I’m definitely a Type A personality, so research has been huge part of getting excited for Rome. I know the city is HUGE and being there for 4 months is not nearly enough time to get to know all of the hidden gems. Because of this, I chose to take a walking class through JCU, my school in Rome. The walking class is supposed to take us to several monuments around the city throughout the weeks. Some of the monuments are the colosseum, the Roman forum, the pantheon, Capitoline Hill, and even traveling to Pompeii and Ostia. I’m hoping that this class will help me learn a lot about the city in the short time that I get to be there.

To say I’m excited for this once in a lifetime adventure would be an understatement. Can’t wait to blog my experience and build some amazing memories!