Introduction to Queen’s by Brady DeHaven

My name is Brady DeHaven and I am a sophomore studying Political Science and Irish Studies at the College of Charleston, but in Belfast, Northern Ireland at Queen’s University Belfast.

I chose this program because my mother was born in Northern Ireland and still has the majority of her family right outside Belfast. I wanted to be able to reconnect with a family that I don’t really know and understand my heritage in a more intimate way than I could in the States. It also helps that Queen’s University is a highly prestigious school within the United Kingdom and especially in Northern Ireland.

For my time abroad, I would like to be able to learn more about my heritage and the country where most of my family is from. The classes offered at Queen’s are very niche and I am hoping to learn more about special topics that pique my interest in international politics and Irish history and studies. I did not have to do any research about Northern Ireland because I’ve been told everything from family and family friends who either live in Northern Ireland or have moved over to the States from Northern Ireland.