Exploring the Country of Italy by Mitchell Rupp

By studying abroad in Rome, Italy, you are living in the perfect spot to travel and explore the rest of the beautiful country. Rome is almost right in the middle of the “boot” which makes it easy to travel around. With almost every city being accessible by a quick and cheap train ride, you are able to experience a whole new part of Italy whenever you would like. For my experience in Italy, I have been lucky to travel to many different parts of the vast country. Ranging from the calm and peaceful town of Nesso, located right on lake Como, to the birth of the renaissance itself in Florence, to Meta, a small town on the Amalfi Coast. The town of Meta was a small neighboring city around Sorrento, Italy. It was a small and quiet town filled with tightly crowded streets and extravagant cliff sides. As if the view of the beautiful clear waters of the Amalfi coast were not enough from the beach, the massive cliffs holding up the small town were a sight to see. Everyplace that I have visited in Italy is unique in its own way, each with its own culture and language. One of the other major cities in Italy that I had the opportunity to travel to a couple of times was Florence. It was very interesting to see how Florence was similar and yet different from other large cities in Italy like Rome. Being the epicenter of the renaissance, it was amazing to see the impact that they renaissance and the Medici family had on the city and how it evolved with that impact into modern day. An interesting difference that I noticed was in food, noting the more Tuscan influence on food in Florence in comparison to Rome that had influences from more southern regions of Italy such as Napoli. Experiencing all of the different types of traditions throughout Italy has been a very rewarding experience and I have learned a lot.