Culture, Customs, and Traditions by Lily Stayduhar

When I first arrived in Trujillo, the town was ending their two week long festivities celebrating their Saint Patroness, Maria Victoria. Our first night in Trujillo, most of the students and I went to the Capeas at the Plaza de Toros, or the bull ring in town, accompanied by our host brothers and sisters. The event consisted of local teens and adults in the bull ring with one to three small bulls that charged at the people after being taunted. It was such a memorable first night in Spain, and it was a way to get a feeling of the culture and life in Trujillo. That weekend we all gathered in the Plaza Mayor, where a DJ played late into the night and everyone in town danced and sang their favorite songs. I had never experienced town festivals like this before, and it’s so interesting to know that this is normal for Trujillanos.

I am not the most skilled person when it comes to speaking Spanish, and that was what I was most nervous about when deciding to live in Spain for three months. At first, it was really difficult to grasp the language and comprehend what people were saying to me. My host family and most people in Trujillo are very understanding and patient when talking to me; they help me by talking slowly and rephrasing sentences in a way I understand. I have been able to build my confidence in speaking in Spanish bit-by-bit, and in doing so have learned more about the language and how they speak compared to Americans. For example, Spaniards are much more forward and blunt when speaking to one another, while Americans typically like to beat around the bush and use filler words. Spaniards don’t take offense to little things or comments that could be offensive or said to an American. They say everything with intention and truth, and I honestly prefer it!