Going to the Grocery Store by Kelsey Butcher

Something that I guess I didn’t really think about was that I would be going to the grocery store a couple of times a week to get food for myself!  Florence specifically has a few different grocery stores around town.  The one that is most prevalent, in my opinion, is called Conad.  That is the supermarket closest to my apartment and the one that I’ve been using during my time in Florence.  The Conad that I’ve been going to has carts that you can pull behind you that are similar to a normal basket size.  The aisles are way to narrow for a regular shopping cart to fit through.

Something extremely important to note is that in Italy you are not supposed to touch unpackaged produced with your hand.  You need to use a disposable glove before you touch the merchandise.  I have not made this mistake, but I’ve seen other foreigners do it and it is a major faux pas.  There will be a sign with the item near it that will feature a code.  After you put your produce in the bad you need to find the electronic scale and use the code that will tell you the exact price of the amount you chose.  A label will come out and you just stick it on the item!  I have also noticed that eggs are found on shelves instead of in refrigerated coolers over here.

The refrigerated coolers contain a bunch of fresh meats and cheeses!  This has personally been my favorite section of the supermarket.  I have been getting my meats and cheeses from this section, but I’ve noticed that some Italians opt to get their items at the butcher counter.  I have not tried to order anything directly from them, but if you do this I recommend having some Italian phrases because you order in metric units!  I love picking out the pre-cut cheeses and there is always a changing assortment.  The first week I chose things that were easily recognizable, but now I’ve been trying to get something each time I go to the grocery store that I have no clue what it is.  I have been both displeased and pleasantly surprised from this tactic.  Hope this can help anyone thinking about studying abroad in Italy!

The pictures are some things that I like to get at the grocery store.  The peach tea is a close sweet tea alternative!