Goals for Florence Avery Gavornik

My name is Avery Gavornik and I am a Junior majoring in Communication and minoring in Marketing. This fall semester I am studying abroad in Florence, Italy through a CofC Faculty Led program. I chose this specific program because it was exactly what I was looking for. Most importantly, the location is somewhere that I have wanted to travel to for my entire life. I always dreamed of going to Italy one day, and Florence was the perfect sized city for me to live in. I have tons of friends who studied in Florence and all return wishing that they could have stayed longer, which made the decision that much easier. In addition, the CofC faculty-led program itself allows me to take three major-required classes, as well as one English course to fulfill my humanities requirements. And, since CofC faculty is accompanying us on this trip to teach the courses in a small class setting, it will be easier to receive help when needed. Some goals I have set for my time abroad are to be as immersed into the Italian culture as I can be. I want to learn the language, make connections with locals, and dress like the Florentines do. However, I also want to be a tourist in my host country. I want to explore every street, cafe, museum, and church as if I am on vacation. I would be disappointed if once I returned to Charleston, I looked back on my time in Florence and did not experience the city for all it has to offer. I have done a lot of research about my host country because I do not want to feel like an outsider when I arrive. I researched what gestures and mannerisms are acceptable and unacceptable, what clothes are appropriate to wear, as well as customs that are different from those of the US. I have a feeling this coming fall is going to be quite a memorable experience.