Class in Florence, Italy vs. Class in Charleston, South Carolina: by Avery Gavornik

How different can it really be, right? We still have to walk to class, listen to a lecture for an hour or two, complete readings and assignments, and take exams. As true as this is, Florence and Charleston aren’t exactly twins. To begin, for the past few months, my classmates and I have been taking classes in a hotel. Our classroom is located on the second floor of a beautiful hotel, complete with single desks, a projector, and shelves full of books. With the exception of the mosaic-painted ceilings and front desk just below us, the classroom is very similar to one you might find on campus in Charleston. One of my favorite parts of this setting is the lounge right outside of our classroom for our use, complete with a desk, couches, and television. There are two desktop computers in the lobby along with a printer which we can use to print assignments, boarding passes, and tickets. Something I was not used to when walking to class everyday was the amount of time it took. My apartment is a solid 25 minute walk from the hotel, which drastically differs from my walk to class in Charleston, where my walk to any building is no more than five minutes. However, the most important classroom aspect during time abroad is time spent outside the classroom. Living in Florence allows us to explore the city before and after class, which could include going to a museum, a church, or even just interacting with a local. These are things that a student wouldn’t always do in Charleston. A huge part of the academic experience here is being immersed into the local culture and learning through everyday experiences. Not to mention, the weekly field trips our program designates for us allow students to get out of the city and explore places like Siena, Lucca, Chianti, and the hills of Tuscany. Who in Charleston can say they weaved a basket on a family-owned farm, learned how to make pasta and gelato, and tasted wines on a vineyard in Tuscany?