Learning About Nantes by Jamie Jacobs

Encore une fois, bonjour à tous! Let’s discover this amazing city in France called NANTES! Oh la vache, Nantes is by far my favorite city in France. People talk about Paris, Bordeaux, or Nice all the time. But what about Nantes? Let me persuade you to visit and fall in love with this culturally stimulating city.

First off, Nantes is the most tourist-friendly city in France that I have visited because they have a neon green line that goes around the entire city and takes tourists to all the “hot spots”. There are too many things to love about this green line. It takes you to an old Bretagne castle that is in the city center surrounded by a moat (yes, a moat!), a BEAUTIFUL garden with the most interesting art pieces like a giant bench that stands over a pathway, and to my favorite part of Nantes, Les Machines de L’Île. 

Why is this “Island of Machines” my favorite? Well, Les Machines de L’Île is inspired by Jules Verne, the French author who wrote the books 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Around the World in 80 Days, and Journey to the Center of the Earth. In this ginormous workshop, you can see all of these machines, big and little, that they create. I had the opportunity to ride on a robotic elephant with my friend, Lexi Sweezy, and it was incredible! After the ride, we were able to go up on a treehouse PROTOTYPE (yikes) and see the beginnings of a new project. In 2021, the new treehouse will stand on its own, and you can bet I will have my tickets!

I know you are already convinced, but I have one more thing to add about this breathtaking city. There is art everywhere you look. Yes, there is abstract and interesting art in the park called Le Jardin des Plantes, but anywhere you walk in the city you will see paintings, sculptures, and what have you. A few years back, the mayor wanted to encourage artists and have a stimulating, artistic city, and it is very clear he succeeded. 

If you ever have the time, I absolutely recommend Nantes. It is a youthful, energetic, and creative city with LOTS to do!